On Tuesday, July 26th, the House Ways and Means Committee is going to hold a full hearing looking at “alternative” tax systems including the Fair Tax and a VAT. This is the first time since the Fair Tax Bill (HR25) was introduced in 1997 that it has been brought to a hearing. We need YOUR help by doing the following:
1. Email C-SPAN and ask them to cover the hearing. To make this easy, just click on this link and your system should open up an email with the content already filled in. Just add your name at the bottom. We need this televised to get the word out!
2. Take two minutes to sign the petition to the Committee on Ways and Means members,before the July 26th FairTax hearing on alternative tax sytems.
3. Contact Congressman McClintock and ask him to support the Fair Tax and NOT a Flat Tax and definitely not a VAT.
While all Americans are aware of our current Income Tax based system (and how broken it is), and many have heard of the “Flat Tax”. It seems that the liberal media has done a great job of hiding and / or discrediting the best (and only) plan on the table. The Fair Tax plan.
What is the FairTax plan?
The FairTax plan is a comprehensive proposal that replaces all federal income and payroll based taxes with an integrated approach including a progressive national retail sales tax, a prebate to ensure no American pays federal taxes on spending up to the poverty level, dollar-for-dollar federal revenue neutrality, and, through companion legislation, the repeal of the 16th Amendment.
The FairTax Act (HR 25, S 13) is nonpartisan legislation. It abolishes all federal personal and corporate income taxes, gift, estate, capital gains, alternative minimum, Social Security, Medicare, and self-employment taxes and replaces them with one simple, visible, federal retail sales tax administered primarily by existing state sales tax authorities.
The FairTax taxes us only on what we choose to spend on new goods or services, not on what we earn. The FairTax is a fair, efficient, transparent, and intelligent solution to the frustration and inequity of our current tax system.
- Enables workers to keep their entire paychecks
- Enables retirees to keep their entire pensions
- Refunds in advance the tax paid on purchases of basic necessities
- Allows American products to compete fairly
- Brings transparency and accountability to tax policy
- Ensures Social Security and Medicare funding
- Closes all loopholes and brings fairness to taxation
- Abolishes the IRS
Passing the Fair Tax would:
- Result in tremendous economic growth in the United States promoting free enterprise and capitalism as companies come back to the US to produce products tax free on US soil.
- Result in smaller government by abolishing the IRS’ 100,000 employees and $11.7 Billion dollar budget. (We don’t need to be subsidizing their jobs and with the economic boom created by the Fair Tax they can find another job in the private sector.)
- Reduce government intrusion into our private lives. No more invasive federal tax forms to fill out. You pay your tax at the cash register.
- Tax the shadow economies such as drug dealers and prostitution – or any persons doing a strictly cash business. These people currently pay NO Federal Income Tax because they don’t report the income. They do however buy things – which is where the Fair Tax would capture their portion of their tax.
The Fair Tax is not a Flat Tax, nor is it a VAT. Please don’t get them confused. A Flat Tax would do none of the above and leaves the code open to manipulation by lobbyists and Congress. A VAT (Value Added Tax) like in Europe applies tax at each stage of the manufacturing in business to business transactions and is in effect a hidden tax. VAT is bad.
Here are some areas to go for more information.
1. Visit the www.fairtax.org website and / or FairTax Nation Website and get involved however you can.
3. Join the Fair Tax Nation : http://www.fairtaxnation.com/ – this is a very active group promoting the Fair Tax.
4. Listen in to the weekly FairTax California radio show: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/fairtax4ca Wednesday nights at 6pm.
If you would like to get more involved, please contact:
California Fair Tax State Director